It was over a century ago, when James EST 1896 EST 1896 Wren first set out to become a painting contractor in Dunedin
Given our history and dedication to quality, Wrens is a name Otago knows and trusts. We’ve been adding colour and transforming businesses and homes across Dunedin, South Otago, Central Otago and Lakes District regions.
Locally owned & operated for 125 years
On the 15th January 1896, Mr James Wren started business on his own account as a painter and decorator. The business grew and a small retail outlet was established in Stafford Street. The rest, they say, is history. The management of the company was taken over by the founder’s sons, Percy and Chris Wren in 1920. In 1928 Chris died and Percy took over the running of the company. Initially, Alex, Percy’s son, was employed but sadly was killed in action in World War Two. Percy’s second son James (Jim) Wren entered the family business.
Jim Wren spent 46 years in the company until his retirement in 1988. The company was purchased by Stewart Driver and Alan Dunbar. This partnership continued until 2003 when Alan retired. Stewart retired in 2005. The company is now owned by Richard Daniell, Brian Black and Blair Mitchell. The head office is now at 50 Carroll Street,